Monday, September 26, 2011

Meet Our Vendors-Lauren Elise Crafted

Good Morning guys and gals! Time to meet another incredible Sew Funky vendor.
Meet Lauren from Lauren Elise Crafted.
Sew Funky Market: When did you first open your shop? What made you decide to open your shop?
Lauren Elise Crafted: I started my blog and opened my Etsy shop in March 2010 but I didn’t start getting orders and opportunities until the end of 2010.  I am a wedding and design blogger and have received a lot of exposure that way.  I have been lucky to work with many brides on handmade favors, save the dates, and other unique wedding accessories and paper goods.  I have always been crafty and hands-on.  I got my degree in architecture but after graduating I realized that my passion wasn’t necessarily for architecture, although I still loved design.  I wanted to make a career for myself which was more creative.  I became interested in the blog world, started my own, and began using my photography skills to take pictures of my projects.  People began to notice my work and respond well to it and soon I was guest blogging for more popular design and wedding sites.  I have discovered this passion for inspiring people to use their creative skills and I really enjoy sharing how to make specific projects or how to do certain crafty techniques.  I hope people will not only enjoy my work but that it will also get them interested in the process of making for themselves.
SFM: What is your best selling item? What is your favorite item to create?
LEC: Because many of my clients are brides, a lot of my work is super unique and specific to each wedding so it is hard to pinpoint a best selling item.  But one project I have worked on with many brides is my vintage bridesmaid hankie sets.  These are really special and I love working together with my clients to create them.  I get to know a little bit about each bridesmaid and then find unique vintage hankies and trinkets to symbolize that girl and to show her how special she is to the bride.  Brides can give them away as gifts at the wedding and the hankies are great for those happy tears.  I love treasure hunting for vintage pieces so this project allows me to do that as well as create something that has so much meaning for a bride and her friends.  I can’t say this is my most favorite project to create because I enjoy making so many things but this definitely has the most meaning behind it. 
SFM: Tell us more about you [your family, "day job", kids?, favorite things to do, your dog!, ways to inspire others, etc.]
LEC: I graduated college with a degree in architecture two years ago and felt lost and confused for the first time in my life.  I wasn’t sure of my direction but I knew I had to do something creative and hands-on.  Over the last two years I have been determined to make that happen for myself and fortunately my little blog and Etsy shop have continued to grow as I’ve gotten more exposure and received more opportunities.  I love to create pretty things for parties, weddings, or just for everyday.  I enjoy working away in my studio with my dog Scout by my side, dreaming up new creations.  I have extreme wanderlust and long to travel to Europe again (I studied abroad there in school).  Currently, I am back living in the town I grew up in, determined to get my business up and running.  I am single and have no children (unless you count my dog) so I see this as the perfect time to make my dreams a reality.  To help pay the bills I work part-time at Anthropologie.  I love vintage shopping and find myself wanting to buy all antique typewriters, old cameras, and sewing machines.  I love to read, take pictures, and eat frozen yogurt, not necessarily in that order.   
SFM: What's your design process?
LEC: My design process usually begins with a notebook.  I have a large collection of little notepads and Moleskines which I keep with me at all times so I can jot down ideas and phrases and sketch when I’m feeling inspired.  I also use them to make lists so I can check off my to-do list as I go.  Before projects, I always find picture inspiration online to help me visually understand my ideas.  I catalog them to Pinterest so I can reference them later, which is particularly helpful in those moments when you’re feeling uninspired.  Trips to the craft store also have a big influence on my design since I get ideas as I wander the aisles and see all of the materials.  Finally, the process of physically making something affects my design tremendously.  Sometimes my ideas seem really great in my head but once I start making them, the problems start to show and I have to tweak things and make them work a different way.   
SFM: What is your shop goal [besides making money!] ?
LEC: My goal is to not only inspire creativity in others but to get them to express that creativity and make things themselves.  The art of making things by hand is definitely something we need to continue practicing, not only as children but as adults as well.  I have found that I am happiest when I am creating and designing and I want to encourage others to find a similar outlet as well.
Lauren is everywhere. Check out her blog, shop, Twitter, and Pintrest

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the post Meagan! I am so excited for Sew Funky and cannot wait to meet all of the fabulous vendors :)

    ReplyDelete